For God’s glory and by His grace, Harvest Fellowship exists to make disciples of Jesus Christ who are progressively growing in their love of God, their love of people, and their commitment to help others grow as disciples.
If we are to be faithful to and effective in our mission, we believe the following core values must permeate and describe all we do as a church and as members of that church.
Christ-focused, gospel-centered, grace-driven
The gospel must define, guide, and drive all that we do as a church. Ultimately making disciples is about growth and transformation, and these happen only through the gospel--by grace and through the power of Christ.
(1 Cor 2:2; 2 Cor 3:4-6, 4:5-7; Gal 2:20; Heb 12:1-2)
Spiritual growth and transformation happens in the context of relationships (with God and with others); we need each other and are called to serve each other and to walk alongside each other.
(Prov 27:17; Heb 3:12-13, 10:24-25)
We are to live redemptively in and before a watching world. God has blessed us so that we may be a blessing to those who are not yet a part of our church family.
(Gen 12:1-2; Matt 5:13-1, 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; 2 Cor 5:14-21)
Because of our sinful nature and selfish tendencies, transformation of hearts, minds, lives, churches, and communities does not happen by chance. Therefore, we must always be intentional in our serving and loving God and others.
(Josh 24:13-27; 1 Cor 9:19-27; 1 Tim 4:7b)
We can do nothing of real consequence or eternal value apart from Christ. Prayer (which is a declaration of our dependence upon God) is a necessary and foundational element in all we do and in every aspect of our lives.
(John 15:4-16; 1 Thess 5:17)
What is a Disciple?
A Disciple is growing in their love for God, striving to:
- Have God’s glory as one’s primary motivation. (1 Cor 10:31)
- Surrender to Christ as Savior and Lord in all areas of life. (Luke 14:25-27, 33)
- Live out of a growing confidence in the gospel of grace. (Eph 3:12; Phil 3:8-9; Heb 10:19-22)
- Feed upon and abide in God’s Word and apply it to all areas of life. (John 8:31-32; James 1:22-25)
- Worship regularly. (Luke 4:8; John 4:24)
- Live in continual dependence upon the Lord. (John 15:4-5)
- Prays privately and with others. (John 15:7; Eph 6:18)
- Practice a repentant lifestyle. (2 Cor 7:10)
- Lives with an eternal perspective. (Rev 1:7; Rev 21; Rev 22)
A Disciple is growing in their love for people, striving to:
- Live in authentic community with God’s people, identifying and serving with other believers. (John 13:34-35; Gal 5:13, 6:9-10)
- Live among and serve those who are not yet disciples. (Matt 4:19, 5:16)
- Redeem the surrounding culture rather than retreat from it. (John 17:14-19)
- Bear the fruit of the Spirit. (Gal 5:22-23)
- Develop a lifestyle of generosity. (Matt 6:19-21; Acts 4:32-27)
- Commit to biblical peacemaking. (Matt 5:9)
- Practice forgiveness. (Luke 17:3-4; Col 3:13)
A Disciple is making disciples by:
- Sharing the gospel with those who do not yet know Jesus as Lord and Savior. (Rom 10:14-17)
- Using one’s gifts (time, talents, and treasures) in helping others grow as disciples of Jesus. (Eph 4:11-16)